Monday, September 13, 2010

Poetry Corner

Here's some free verse I've been dabbling with the last couple of months. Be proud of me! The poems have titles!

Beats

I offer you my big black heart
coagulating in tinny cold
and burn with breath throw a punch
gnash and crunch the piling snow
because you're smiling because I know
hot steam engines hurtle past
fireball fury fist clenched pumping
you count snowflakes stitches stiletto
clackity-clacks on icy tracks
not black bruises heartbeat woes
not our frostbit toes.


Eulogy

Bury me beneath the kitchen linoleum.
Speak to me when the air conditioner hums,
when the curtains I picked
fill the room with blue light,
when you stare through windows
and don't see your own lawn.

Leave your lilies in a milk bottle on the porch.
Think of me when the bananas go bad,
when the scarf I knitted
scratches your neck red,
when you walk under Christmas lights
and don't know your own door.


They Say I Am This Woman-thing.

Singing hymns in muffled nighttime
(soothing whispers stroke my neck).

Sacrificed for cherry cheesecake
(translucent as a broken eggshell).

Spread like thin communion wafers
(hands across my belly skin).

Scattered onto threadbare carpet
(bright as prism-shattered light).

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful, of course. I especially like "Eulogy."

    ReplyDelete